What I am trying to do...

I am aiming to row 1,000m flat out every day for 40 days. If I achieve this I will finish the day before my 40th birthday. I have never rowed for 40 days in a row in my life. You can read more about the challenge on my justgiving page. This blog is a report on how I am getting on day to day. Please donate if you can. Every little helps. Rowers: A generous donation of a C-breeze has been made for the highest donation to the cause...


Tuesday 27 May 2008

Rep 40: PB in 3:07.8 @ 1:33.9 - And it is ALL OVER

The plan was to have three and a half days rest and then hit the final rep hard. This was upset somewhat by slipping on damp grass and falling amazingly heavily on my shoulders, neck and head and suffering whiplash. This happened on Sunday and by today (Tuesday) I was much better - although looking over my right shoulder is a bit of a problem.

I had a very quiet (child free) day and headed for Cambridge for a day out. Looking at HDTVs, drinking coffee without worrying about the kids, a nice Wagamama meal, lots of reading, the Fitzwilliam. Lovely.

Then a manic two hours of kids and cooking followed by the warm up for the race. The RowPro race was supposed to be fancy dress but I had decided to make my avatar row naked. I took a disproportionate amount of time getting the t-shirt and shorts to match the skin tone...

Anyway. The race. There was a good turn out, with five of us on the river. John was aiming for a 1:30 piece so I knew I would have something to chase. I also knew he might blow up (he'd warned me). My old rival Petr Oliva was there too as well as Bill and Plummy.

I had felt pretty odd warming up. With hindsight that might have been "lack of fatigue". The race started and I shot out of the blocks pulling 1:24s. The first 250m was a dream with me having to consciously back off to avoid burning out. I shot past John at around 300m - he'd obviously given up the ghost. He went backwards so fast I had a fleeting thought that his RowPro had crashed but the pain was kicking in and I gave it no further thought.

As I approached 500m I began to struggle, but my split was something amazing like 1:33.5 at this point. I knew that I could finish from 300m out so I dug in for the next 200m, aiming not to slip below 1:34 for any stroke. I was in severe pain through this but was amazed to see the average split hanging on to the high 1:33s throughout.

With 250m to go I knew I could hang on. I have now done enough races that I know you can pull it out for the finish, that it hurts like hell but can be borne. Sometimes I wonder whether the elite athletes feel throughout the race how I felt in the last 250m! I was fairly stunned to see that the split did not slip below 1:35 through this. I was not looking at the average split but the projected finish which was something stupid like 3:07.

I was really struggling as I hit the last 100m but raised the rate and went for it. It was gutbusting effort, increasing with every stroke, but all I managed was to keep the split at 1:35! I suspect that I was truly all out at this point. The effort was so great, I was working so hard but the split just did not change.

I felt nauseous for a fair while after the race. Now, two hours later my legs, particularly my calves ache, and my lungs are odd. But it was a monster personal best - 2.1 seconds inside my old best. I have no idea if I can beat that time, it was a massive row. Here are the results.


Name
Time
Split
1Thomas William-Powlett 3:07.8 1:33.9
2Petr Oliva 3:13.7 1:36.9
3John Glynn 3:19.3 1:39.7
4William Docter 3:21.6 1:40.8
5David Plumb 3:32.1 1:46.1


The last metre of the race was the last metre of my 5 millionth recorded with Concept 2. I think I get a certificate for that. Yay.

Metres today: 4,000

No comments: