What I am trying to do...

I am aiming to row 1,000m flat out every day for 40 days. If I achieve this I will finish the day before my 40th birthday. I have never rowed for 40 days in a row in my life. You can read more about the challenge on my justgiving page. This blog is a report on how I am getting on day to day. Please donate if you can. Every little helps. Rowers: A generous donation of a C-breeze has been made for the highest donation to the cause...


Tuesday 13 May 2008

Rep 29: 3:16.7 @ 1:38.4 - hard but bearable

Before I started this series of rows I feared the 1,000m. I would sit before races in a cold sweat worrying that I would not be able to get to 1,000m within 3 minutes 20 seconds. I have to say that I now begin to lose my fear. Today I was in a tearing hurry and had to row with no warm up and precious little warm down. Yet in the row I managed a split of 1:38.4 and a time of 3:16.7 with a heart rate of 173! This is exactly 10 beats slower than the first row. Now I have since learned that the blood volume adapts quickly to the exercise and that the heart rate therefore drops fast in response to exercise but I am still pretty impressed! In a 2k race if I look at my heart rate and it is 180 I feel pretty good about that and feel I have enough left for the second half. If I got to half way in a 2k race with a heart rate of 173 I'd think I was slacking, yet getting to half way at a split of 1:38.4 is way inside my PB for this distance.

So today, the target was 1:38.4 and after yesterday's blast I though I would go for even pace today. I have learned that this is a lot harder than a "fly and die" during the row, but easier to recover from. My plan was to hit 1:38.4 as soon as I could and sit on it throughout the row. As usual I would be chasing the previous day's row, and this would mean that it would be an interesting race with me miles behind at half way and clawing back through the second half.

And so it was. I was huffing and puffing and it was not easy or pain free, but I did get home in exactly the right time once more. I think doing two at that pace could be very challenging and I am not planning that any time soon. Like I have said before, I have found that can recover from one 1k row at this pace in 24 hours, but recovering from two is pretty hard and three is a nightmare.

Metres today: 1,503

No comments: