What I am trying to do...

I am aiming to row 1,000m flat out every day for 40 days. If I achieve this I will finish the day before my 40th birthday. I have never rowed for 40 days in a row in my life. You can read more about the challenge on my justgiving page. This blog is a report on how I am getting on day to day. Please donate if you can. Every little helps. Rowers: A generous donation of a C-breeze has been made for the highest donation to the cause...


Friday 9 May 2008

Reps 24 and 25: nearly handled down today

Legs were tired all day but otherwise I felt pretty sound so planned to do two today. I am pretty stupid, so started to think about doing each one from now on in 0.1 seconds faster than the last on the split.

I had agreat start to the session, managing exactly 200m with my eyes shut in one of the crazy challenges in my rowing club.

I managed the first row at 1:39.0 (just) which meant that the second row had to be 1:38.9. Given the first row was very tough, and my lungs were suffering afterwards, I thought as I paddled 2k between the rows that a 1:38.9 row was going to be very challenging. Doing a massive start just does not cut it any more. I did that for the internet row yesterday (pulling 1:26 on the first few strokes!) so a 1:38.9 would have to be a long hard first 500m, getting well ahead of the game before clinging on until the end. My 3rd row last Saturday (where I was well down at half way) was a nightmarish experience. Playing catch up is no fun. So, I decided to rate higher on the second row (at around 30) and to hit half way at around a 1:37.5 split. I could then ease off for the second 500m.

Well, that was the plan. I turned out to be rather tired but hit half way at 1:37.5 OK. But at 600 or so I handled down. Simple as that. No warning. I sat there for what seemed an eternity (maybe two strokes) and thought, hell, I can still get a sub 1:40. I started rowing again and found I had lost about a length on the pace boat. I then got angry and really went for home for perhaps the second time in this series of rows. The rate shot up, the stroke shortened, the teeth gnashes, my heart pounded and through the total pain I saw myself gradually catching up and overtaking the pace boat. I had managed the 1:39.8 exactly, but it was not exactly how I meant to do it.

My heart rate after the first row remains up and down.


I was too tired to complete a 2,000m warm down and wanted a beer and to get out in the garden.

Metres today: 7,004

No comments: