What I am trying to do...

I am aiming to row 1,000m flat out every day for 40 days. If I achieve this I will finish the day before my 40th birthday. I have never rowed for 40 days in a row in my life. You can read more about the challenge on my justgiving page. This blog is a report on how I am getting on day to day. Please donate if you can. Every little helps. Rowers: A generous donation of a C-breeze has been made for the highest donation to the cause...


Thursday 29 May 2008

The end of the challenge. The end of this blog.

So, a day off for my 40th celebrations and then back on the ergo today.

I thought I would do a 5k with the first 1,609 at a 1:45 split. Easy after the 40 before 40 I thought.

Er, no.

Without the push of the sponsored row even getting to 1,000m, 10 seconds slower than 1:40 pace was a struggle and I gave up at 1,200m in. The rest of the row was a bit of a farce. Stopping. Paddling, sprinting. I did not know quite what I was up to.

So, 5,000m today and back on to my old plan of not really knowing what I am up to. I need to get on to a plan. The Pete Plan beckons...

Now that the 40 before 40 is done there are so many people to thank. This is what I said on the Free Spirits rowing site...

I certainly could not have survived and completed it without the support of many many people. Lots to thank.

Firstly, a the people who donated. Without you I would not have finished. Simple as that. Some days I would be really low and tired and then I would get home to an email saying I had had a donation and this would force me out to the garage.
Secondly, my wife, Tamsin and my children. Tamsin thinks I am bonkers, but has never questioned my decision to do this. It has knocked holes in our normal life and a lot of the holes have been filled, uncomplainingly by her. It was particularly grim in the mid 30s of the rows when I was sore and knackered and my sense of humour had been left on the ergo at about row 30. My children have just accepted I am rowing more than usual and I was so touched when my eldest handed me her weekly pocket money as a donation.
Thirdly, my form at school, 7 Hart. They make me laugh and drive me crazy but they got together and managed to sell £68 worth of popcorn and biscuits in twenty minutes at school. Great support, they are brilliant and that was a great effort.
Lastly, all Free Spirits. It has been said many times, but the support on this site is fantastic. I have never felt alone. All those who rowed with me on RowPro. Brilliant. I felt loved. This helped a lot. All those who have left messages of support and advice have helped more than they know.

This is the last post on this blog.

Thank you very much.

Metres today: 5,000

1 comment:

ewp said...

Why did i give you my pocket money?
How old was I?????