What I am trying to do...

I am aiming to row 1,000m flat out every day for 40 days. If I achieve this I will finish the day before my 40th birthday. I have never rowed for 40 days in a row in my life. You can read more about the challenge on my justgiving page. This blog is a report on how I am getting on day to day. Please donate if you can. Every little helps. Rowers: A generous donation of a C-breeze has been made for the highest donation to the cause...


Monday 12 May 2008

28: 3:16.9 @ 1:38.5 - power row

I felt good all day today. I begin to realise that doing two in one day takes at least 48 hours to recover from. I was contemplating a crazy 5,000m row with the first 1,000m at 1:40 pace but discretion is the better part of valour and with hindsight I am glad it is.

Since I felt good I thought that a blast for the first 500m might be interesting since at the end of all this I intend to try and break my 1,000m personal best.

I shot out of the blocks at 1:26 and kept pulling away at constant effort with the split slowly dropping. I hit half way at 1:33.5 and eased back. An interesting first 500. Initially it was euphoric, no pain for the first 200m and rattling along at 35 strokes per minute. As I got tired though the pace dropped and the doubts kept in. Easing off at 500m was hard and the split went way down. I had to fight to keep it up at something reasonable and in the end I had to go back to 1:38s at the end to hit my target.

Whether I could have held the 1:33.5 pace for the second 500m is very very doubtful, but I might have hung on at 1:37/38 for a PB? I think if I held on to 1:38 for the 500-700m block I can the ndestroy myself with a 300m run to the line? Time will tell. I want to get to the 25th May with 42 in the bag so I can have two days rest, and on the 27th I can have a pop at my PB as I complete a marathon in under 1:40! This means that I can do one a day for the next 14 days, as long as I remain healthy.

Metres today: 3,000 (no warm up)

No comments: