What I am trying to do...

I am aiming to row 1,000m flat out every day for 40 days. If I achieve this I will finish the day before my 40th birthday. I have never rowed for 40 days in a row in my life. You can read more about the challenge on my justgiving page. This blog is a report on how I am getting on day to day. Please donate if you can. Every little helps. Rowers: A generous donation of a C-breeze has been made for the highest donation to the cause...


Saturday 24 May 2008

Rep 39: penultimate row - 1:39.6 with fast first half. Tough.

One left. My body has been hurting in the last week so yesterday I had an incredibly gentle half hour on the erg which helped ease a lot of my aches and pains.

Today I wanted to get the feel of the speed of a PB attempt again. And boy is it going to be hard. I did the first 500m in 1:33.8 but suspect that there is no way I could have held on to that for a full 500m. After going through 500m I dipped down to a 2:00 split and it took a lot of effort to get back on to the 1:46s I needed to finish on time. At one point I thought I wouldn't make it but gritted out the last 100m in under 1:45 to make sure of the time.

So, unless I have a complete failure on Tuesday night I will complete this task. There is no way I could have done it without the steady flow of sponsorship which was very very motivating. Several days (and most of the last week) the only thing getting me out to the garage has been the thought of boosting the money raised to my target of £1,000.

Tonight I visit my friends who are the driving force behind Project 40. No row and certainly no abstinence of any sort tonight. Then a gentle stretch out on Sunday night, complete rest on Monday and then on Tuesday my last row in my 30s. My last metre in my 30s will be the 5 millionth on my machine.

The final 1,000m row is on RowPro in "fancy dress". I have no idea of the ensemble I will be "wearing" but no doubt the shorts will be red to reflect the state of my backside.

Metres today: 3,004

1 comment:

p said...

well done! i think i rowed #1 or #2 with you on rowpro. just thought i would check in and see how it was going. so glad to hear you have achieved your goal...congrats. ernie