What I am trying to do...

I am aiming to row 1,000m flat out every day for 40 days. If I achieve this I will finish the day before my 40th birthday. I have never rowed for 40 days in a row in my life. You can read more about the challenge on my justgiving page. This blog is a report on how I am getting on day to day. Please donate if you can. Every little helps. Rowers: A generous donation of a C-breeze has been made for the highest donation to the cause...


Tuesday 29 April 2008

Reps 13: 3:19.0 @ 1:39.5 and rep 14: 3:18.9!

Buoyed by the donations yesterday, I wanted to do something special today so even though I usually have time pressure on a Tuesday I thought I would go for two in one session. I dashed home from school, fighting my way through the traffic, and was rowing by 4:30pm.

I aimed to do the first as controlled as possible but still hit the 3:19.0 time and did this well. The second I again thought that I would avoid the sprint start and just row long powerful strokes and see what happened. The second row was harder of course and I held the long strokes to 500m when it became clear that I would not hit the target time at this pace. I upped the rate to 30 and got home in a new fastest time, and the first in the 3:18.x bracket.

Typing now (5 hours later) my legs are again sore. I had been getting used to it but doing two is pretty tough. Hot baths with a but of thigh pummelling seem to help a lot too though I couldn't do that since I dashed out to sort out the kids then I was taking Elizabeth (7) to the school's excellent performance of "Olivia!".

My knee was very sore at the start of this 40 day trial and whilst it is much better it is still bothering me when I kneel down. This is best avoided I guess but I wish it would improve.

Metres today: 5,500

No comments: