What I am trying to do...

I am aiming to row 1,000m flat out every day for 40 days. If I achieve this I will finish the day before my 40th birthday. I have never rowed for 40 days in a row in my life. You can read more about the challenge on my justgiving page. This blog is a report on how I am getting on day to day. Please donate if you can. Every little helps. Rowers: A generous donation of a C-breeze has been made for the highest donation to the cause...


Monday 28 April 2008

Rep 12: 3:19.0 @ 1:39.5 - no warm up - ow

I didn't fancy it today. But another donation shamed me in to going out to the garage once more. I have loads of work to do so just jumped on and pulled 1,000m without warm up. I thought I had pinged my back, and my seating was all over the place but I settled down and rowed a 1:39.5 pace - at last down to my 2k pb split, which has been a bit of a target. It was OK at the start bu hard all the way in. 500m seemed to take an age to come up. Given my heart was at resting when I surprised it with the first stroke it should not be surprising that it struggled to get up to only 171 in the piece. This gives me hope that when warmed up, should I get to the end of this a mile PB attempt should be possible. I am not sure about a 1,000m attempt since I reckon I couldn't keep up with the mental strain of rowing much faster. We'll see.

Oddness with the time - the PM3 monitor says 3:19.0 @ 1:39.5 and RowPro wasy 3:18.9 @ 1:39.4. Not sure what to make of that and will stick with the PM3 since that is what I watch during the row!

Typing straight after the row, I find as I type that my lungs are protesting a lot. If this had been a 2k race I would have been stuffed. I think I need to start taking my inhaler morning and evening AND, dare I say it, actually warm up.

Suitably chastened I am about to start a 2.5k warm down. Aiming for 2:00 split.

Metres today (will be): 3,500

No comments: