What I am trying to do...

I am aiming to row 1,000m flat out every day for 40 days. If I achieve this I will finish the day before my 40th birthday. I have never rowed for 40 days in a row in my life. You can read more about the challenge on my justgiving page. This blog is a report on how I am getting on day to day. Please donate if you can. Every little helps. Rowers: A generous donation of a C-breeze has been made for the highest donation to the cause...


Friday 25 April 2008

Rep 9: 3:19.1 @ 1:39.6 - hurt!

This was an early (5:30pm) row to leave as much time as possible before the Saturday morning row. With the double header tomorrow I then can take Sunday off and not row again until Monday night.

I did a short warm up (500m) then the 1,000m piece. The row was fine until the last 200m when it became a struggle. After the row I was in a lot of trouble. Agonizing legs and lungs. I was amazed at my end heart rate of 175! The lowest yet. I had been entering sprint mode to keep at the 1:39.6 pace I had set myself and suspect I went a little too hard hencethe faster time and possibly the pain.

I had some insight to how hard a 1,000m is if you are not used to it today. A young trainee at work raced a 1,000m piece at his gym. He said it was a near death experience and rowed it nearly 30 seconds slower than any of my pieces so far. My favourite quote of his today was he went to bed worried he might not wake up because of the stresses he'd put his body through! Great fun. He wanted reassurance that I was not finishing these 1,000m pieces without being out of breath. I was able to put him right on that one!

2,500m warm down today, but the 2:00 pace was too hard with the pain in my legs so I backed off.

Metres today: 4,017

No comments: