What I am trying to do...

I am aiming to row 1,000m flat out every day for 40 days. If I achieve this I will finish the day before my 40th birthday. I have never rowed for 40 days in a row in my life. You can read more about the challenge on my justgiving page. This blog is a report on how I am getting on day to day. Please donate if you can. Every little helps. Rowers: A generous donation of a C-breeze has been made for the highest donation to the cause...


Friday 18 April 2008

Rep 1: 3:19.8 @ 1:40.0

If I hadn't managed this one it would have been a little embarassing so I was unlikely to fail. I went to warm up at 7pm and realised that I had mucked up the internet session since it was scheduled for GMT and I am on British Summer Time. Luckily for me, A friend made the same mistake and we were joined on an ad hoc basis by an American rowing in Boston.

My wife was all set to film the first race for a youtube video but the camera turns out to have died at this vital moment! Gaagh. It looks to be beyond repair (in this modern World) so a new one will be sought.

Unused to internet racing I had a shocking, shocking start and after gunning the first few strokes found that I still was behind the pace. This made for an uncomfortable first half when I was always behind the pace and was rowing at something like 1:39 and always playing catch-up.

Once I had the pace the second half was more comfortable. The other two in the race were somewhat ahead by this stage and they both beat me. But they don't have another 39 to do!

Final time was 3:19.8 @ 1:40.0 per 500m (rowpro file)

Afterwards I was somewhat wobbly and did a long (5,000m) gentle (HR<130) warm down and felt better afterwards. It made me realise how I am pretty unprepared for this. How do I warm up? (I barely did today with the internet mucking around) How do I warm down?

Our American racer was very friendly and encouraged me to go to the CRASH-Bs (World Championships). How I would love to do that!

Metres today: 8,000

No comments: