What I am trying to do...

I am aiming to row 1,000m flat out every day for 40 days. If I achieve this I will finish the day before my 40th birthday. I have never rowed for 40 days in a row in my life. You can read more about the challenge on my justgiving page. This blog is a report on how I am getting on day to day. Please donate if you can. Every little helps. Rowers: A generous donation of a C-breeze has been made for the highest donation to the cause...


Sunday 27 April 2008

Rep 11: 3:19.2 @ 1:39.6 - painful fly and die

Had one of the many dinner parties to celebrate my 40th last night and ate and drank too much. I had planned to have today off the rowing but the nagging feeling that I should try to row one 1,000m piece each day got to me and I dragged my aching and tired body out to the garage/office once more. As I said to my wife, she won't let me row the Atlantic so this is about the closest I can get with a full time job. How long one a day lasts I don't know but I kept it up today at least.

I felt dodgy swarming up so again elected to go off fast. I went off very fast. I had nearly half a length on the pace boat after 200m and stuck rigidly to the 1:40 split fot the next 500m; which seemed to go on for ever. I then had 300m to go and had about 1m on the pace boat. The 300m felt like another 1,000m and I only just kept to the target of 1:39.6 for 500m pace albeit with a slower overall row than yesterday morning. Talk about "fly and die".

Despite this I finished the row and thought "I'll do another". Quite where THAT thought came from I don't know. The lunacy of it struck me 500m in to a VERY gentle warm down when my legs were like jelly. I knew immediately that mentally I could not manage a 1,00m at 1:40 pace so paddled the rest of the warm-down with my metaphorical tail between my legs.

Metres today: 4,000

No comments: